Subject: Re: Re(2): GLOW and FIELD RENDERING QUESTION
From: Robert Cohen <[email-masked]>
To: Joe Angell <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lightwave Post <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 21:02:43 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 29 Oct 1995, Joe Angell wrote:

> 
> As an interesting aside, my Panasonic AG-1970 SHVS deck shows TWO fields in 
> still mode (I think... not sure about >1x, though).  The display does a 
> filed-flickering thing unless you adjust the tracking, in which case you 
> can get rock-solid freezes with no flickering (flickering as in what you 
> get when you grab a frame with a LOT of motion into the Toaster/Flyer).
> --

Actually Joe, since it was my initial statement about stills being two 
fields, in the first place, I feel obligated to tell you that I think 
that I stand corrected...  I experimented at work today, but jogging 
across a strobe flash, and I think that others' statements about still 
framing with video tape being a single field may indeed be correct, Which 
would explain why sometimes I can "find" the strobe flash, and sometimes 
I can't...  Also, when I jog/still on a scene which as some fast motion, 
I DON'T see a motion flicker, which would suggest the same thing...  I 
just don't know how I have been able to do videotape editing for 14 years 
and not notice this.... I guess I just nevered bothered to look... ;))

If the flickering you descibe was indeed a two field artifact, you would 
not be able to clear it up by using tracking.  The reason had been 
under the impression that jog/stills encompassed two fields is that a VCR 
technician told me so some years back and I just never bothered to 
confirm this for myself... ;)  Hey, the day we stop learning is the day 
we stop growing ;)  

And thank all of you who "enlightened" me ;))

***************************************************************************

Robert Cohen / Ocean Township NJ	Lightwave Animator / Video Editor

  		[email-masked] / [email-masked]

***************************************************************************

--
Robert Cohen <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]